- On Sunday, at a traffic stop in Brooklyn Centre, the Minnesota police shot a Balck Man named Daunte Wright.
- The incident triggered angry protestors who protested outside the Brooklyn Center Police Department building on Sunday night.
- The police fired rubber bullets and lobbed flashbangs at the protesters.
- Tim Walz, the Minnesota Governor expressed his grief over the incident and assured that the incident was under investigation.
- Katie Daunte, the mother of the victim demanded a thorough investigation into the matter.
On Sunday, the Minneapolis Police shot a 20-year-old Black man in suburban Minnesota. The incident which took place at a traffic stop in Brooklyn Centre carved its way to the protest, ‘Black Lives Matter’. As a consequence, there has been an increasing tension over police violence across the United States of America. According to reports, the victim, Daunte Wright was shot by the police before getting back into his car.
As a consequence, angry protesters protested outside the Brooklyn Center Police Department building on Sunday night. Responding to the protest, the police fired rubber bullets and lobbed flashbangs at the protesters, and let off clouds of chemical irritants. Reportedly, the heinous incident took place 10 miles (16 km) from where George Floyd was killed during an arrest in Minneapolis last May.
Commenting on the situation, Tim Walz the Minnesota Governor outlined that the government is entirely monitoring the incident. “I am praying for Daunte Wright’s family as our state mourns another life of a Black man taken by law enforcement,” Walz added.
As per the statement justified by the police, they mentioned that they had stopped an individual shortly before 2 pm on Sunday after determining the driver had an outstanding warrant. Police said when they tried to arrest the driver, the driver re-entered the vehicle and drove away. An officer fired at the vehicle, striking the driver. Police said the vehicle traveled several blocks before striking another vehicle.
Meanwhile, the family of Daunte was completely shocked after hearing the news. They have demanded answers from the police. Katie Wright, Daunte’s mother, tearfully pleaded for more information regarding the incident and for her son’s body to be moved from the street.