Kabul: On Thursday, 18 people including Afghan security forces were killed in a suspected car-bombing in eastern Afghanistan. The incident took place hours before a three-day ceasefire that was going to begin in the country for the upcoming Muslim festival Eid al-Adha.
This incident took place at time violence has risen across the war-torn country as the U.S. brokered peace talks between the militant group and an Afghan government-mandated committee await the completion of a prisoner exchange between the two sides. The Taliban have refused the responsibility for the bombing.
The explosion took place in Pul-e-Alan, the capital of the eastern province of Logar. Shahpoor Ahmadzai the spokesperson for the provincial police said that it was not clear whether it was a car or suicide bombing, but the security forces had gathered for duty in the city to prepare for security measures for Eid al-Fitr.
Hasib Stanekkzai the head of the province council said that it was a car-bombing and 18 individuals were dead and 22 people were injured. As per the Afghan President, Ashraf Ghani around 3,560 Afghan security forces personnel has been killed in attacks by the militants since the U.S.-Taliban agreement.
As a result of the war between the Afghan government forces and the Taliban, more than 1,280 Afghan civilians had been killed in the first six months if the year.