- Cabinet approves Rs. 15,000 Crore for “India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package”.
- The funds sanctioned will be utilized in three phases.
- The key objectives of the package include mounting emergency response to slow and limit COVID-19.
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved the significant investment of Rs. 15,000 crore for “India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package”. The funds will be utilized in three phases for immediate emergency and the rest for medium-term support to be provided under the mission mode approach.
The key objectives of the package include mounting emergency response to slow and limit COVID-19 in India through the development of diagnostics and COVID-19 dedicated treatment facilities, essential medical equipment and drugs required for treatment, strengthen the National and State health systems, setting up of laboratories and bolster surveillance activities, bio-security preparedness, pandemic research activities. These initiatives will be operational under the authority of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare along with others has already started several activities under Phase- 1 like:
- Additional funds of Rs 3,000CR for strengthening the existing health facilities, health center and care, detailed guidelines, and protocols for quarantine, isolation, testing, containment, social distancing, and surveillance.
- Diagnostics laboratories have been expanded with testing capacity increasing every day. 13lakh diagnostics kits have been placed to increase COVID-19 testing.
- All health workers including Community Health Volunteers have been covered with insurance under the “Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package”. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), N95 masks and ventilators, testing kits, and drugs are being procured.