The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Scientific and Technical Cooperation among the National Centre of Meteorology (NCM), United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) India got approval from the Union Cabinet. The MoU provides sharing of data, knowledge, and operational products for meteorological, seismological, and oceanic services like Tide gauges, Radar, Satellite, seismic and Meteorological stations.
- Information will be exchanged on experience or visit in terms of the scientist, research scholars, and specialist, etc. for research, consultation, training focused on climatic information services, satellite data utilization, for now, casting, and tropical cyclones forecasting.
- Information of common interest activities like the exchange of scientific and technical information will be done.
- Organization of bilateral scientific and technical seminars/ workshops/ conferences and training courses on problems related to the fields of cooperation mentioned in the MoU and of interest to both countries.
- Cooperation will be done in various other fields that both the parties agree to.
- Deployment of Meteorological observation networks on the mutual agreement over Ocean waters.
- Cooperation in the will be done for developing special capacities of Tsunami models researches for faster and better forecasts of Tsunamis propagating through the Oman Sea and Arabian Sea that affect the coastal areas of India and North East of UAE adversely.
- Cooperation will be done to support the Tsunami Early Warning Centre (TEWC) in the form of forecast modeling software, which is specially designed to help the Tsunami forecasting operations.
- Sharing the real-time seismic data of some of the Seismic stations situated in south and west of India and North of the UAE for monitoring the seismic activities which may generate Tsunami in the Arabian Sea and Sea of Oman.
- In the field of Seismology cooperation will be done that will include the study of Seismic activities having the potential to generate Tsunami waves in the Arabian Sea and Oman Sea.
- Through knowledge exchange, cooperation will be done in Early warnings of Sand and Dust storms.
Weather services are important in enhancing efficiency for areas whose economy largely depends on the weather. It is important to detect weather for managing risk in sectors like agriculture, water, transport that is hampered by weather. Resilience can be strengthened through regional and global cooperation as countries invest in early warning systems and modernize weather and forecasting services.
Regional collaboration can help to understand the changing pattern of weather, devise effective response strategies, and foster regionally relevant technological innovation, and address challenges related to modernization and sustainability of weather services lower investment costs due to the evolutionary nature of weather.
In the context of activities related to multi-hazard early warning systems and climate resilience, the collaboration within MoES (India) and NCM-UAE will be proving to be significant for economic growth in the region.
The activities that are being carried out by India and UAE were discussed during the UAE delegation visit on 8 November 2019. Both India and UAE showed interest in scientific and technical collaborations for a faster and reliable forecast of Tsunamis propagating through the Oman Sea and the Arabian Sea which affect the coastal areas of India and North East of UAE.